A new year, a new blog post

Readers of this blog may have noticed that there has been a decline in the number of posts in the last year or two. Between home (a toddler) and work (an R01 grant) my life has gotten busier and I’ve had less time to make posts on this blog. I’ve decided that I should reverse that trend. A number of people have told me that they’ve found one post or another useful, and so despite the small number of pageviews (about 100 a day), it seems like this site is providing a useful service.  It also seems like a good way to promote myself and make people aware of what I do in a field (core director) that doesn’t lead to a lot of publications.

Finally, I enjoy posting here and sharing some of the details of projects we’re working on. My goal is to produce a least one substantive post a month, in addition to the paper roundup and occasional brief notification of something interesting. Two major projects in the NIC right now are development of a simple light sheet microscope, and commissioning of a  CSU-W1 spinning disk confocal integrated with our high-speed widefield microscope. Both of these have a number of interesting technical challenges that may be of interest to the larger microscopy community, and I look forward to sharing them with you.

Feel free to hold me to the one interesting post a month, and complain if you don’t see it. 🙂

8 thoughts on “A new year, a new blog post

1. Much appreciated! I follow your posts with interest, and I bookmarked one link in particular about using a mask to create a greatly improved light sheet. We have a basic two-laser SPIM and the return-on-effort for that trick could be quite high.

2. Hi Kurt, your blog really is a great resource for all microscopists and I’m glad to hear that you will continue to update it.

3. I look forward to new paper roundups every month and keep your blog as a home tab! It’s a been great resource.

4. Hi! I just wanted to add my thanks along with everyone else for all the blog posts! I always look forward to the paper roundup!

5. 100 page views per day, about 3000 a month? I would think this is a significant portion of the people doing serious microscopy world wide. There are quite a few good web sites on microscopy education, but not much that deals with applied microscopy on an advanced level. I added a link to you blog on the web site of our Core Facility. Thank you for keeping this up.

• The thing is, many of those hits are from spam bots. Before I implemented captchas on the site, I was getting dozens of spam comments a day. There are apparently quite a few people who want to up their pagerank by posting spam links on wordpress sites.