Qioptiq Optem Fusion

I was googling around today, looking for low magnification lenses to interface with a 35mm camera sensor, and I came across this interesting looking modular optical system from Qioptiq. It’s essentially a modular low magnification microscope, with optional motorized focus and zoom options, with an NA up to 0.18.  If you use their 4x / 0.18 NA lower lens, combined with a 2.5x tube lens, you get 10x magnification overall, and can fill a 35 mm sensor, achieving a field of view of 2.4 x 3.6 mm. Combine that with a camera like the Nikon DS-Qi2, and you get a Nyquist sampled, 16 megapixel image with 1.7 um resolution. If you had a camera with slightly smaller pixels you could go down to 8x overall magnification and a slightly larger field of view.

For low magnification, large field of view imaging, this system looks pretty interesting, particularly given its modular nature and the fact that there are motorization options and options to add fluorescence illumination.  I have no idea about pricing, and wonder how it compares to more conventional microscope options. If it’s cost effective, though, it could be a nice option for certain types of imaging – I’m currently rebuilding a Nikon AZ100 into a low-magnification, low-resolution light sheet system (about which, more later) and we’ve gotten very nice images of cleared mouse brain with a 2x / 0.2 NA lens and an extra few-fold magnification from the zoom system.

If anyone has any experience with this system, or anything similar to it, I’d be very curious to hear about it.

3 thoughts on “Qioptiq Optem Fusion

1. Hi Kurt,
    Indeed that system looks interesting. I was looking around for some variable zoom option as well.
    I’m using a 2x lightsheet system for cleared mouse brains and so far got the best results by exchanging the tube lens with a camera objective (100, 200 or 300). We always got distortions at the outer image areas, this is not the case since we started using standard camera objectives.
    But i would be very interested as well if anyone has tested the mentioned Qioptic system.
    Best,
    Robert

• Hi Robert –

Any chance you could share details of your light sheet system, or what lenses your using for the tube lens? The AZ100 we have gives very nice images with the 2x objective we have, although we often use the zoom system to increase the magnification another 2x or so. We can image about 1 cm x 1 cm with our Zyla 5.5 using the 2x lens – I think there is some degradation of image quality at the edges of the FOV, but some of that is due to the fact that we haven’t gotten the sheet thickness set properly yet. Some is probably also due to aberrations of the objective, but I haven’t measured it carefully yet.

2. Dear Sir,

Thank you for the details about DS-Qi2. It has peltier cooling as mentioned in the brochure. But what is the minimum temperature it can reach is not mentioned. If you have the information please let me know. This will be very helpful. thank you.

Best Regards,
    Prabal